So at this point in my dabbling through social media and Youtube and Twitter and this here on Tumblr, I find myself at a bit of jammed up little roadblock here.
For those of you who’ve followed this blog for a bit, you’ve likely seen my Youtube videos and what’s all gradually led me to branching out through the internet over the last four years or so. However, I’ve found that through this current path I’ve been on, I’m feeling progressively more stuck in my ways. Music has and will continue to be my passion, and with any luck I would very very much like to make an occupation or some kind of living being around it, but I just don’t feel all that challenged anymore. I’ve been struggling with that problem and tweaking things here and there, but it’s not nearly enough to make me feel alive or excited about this like I used to be.
Couple that with how much my own personal life has felt like it’s been in limbo, and it’s been nearly impossible to remain consistent in the art that I enjoy. In some way depression is part of it, but in many others it’s the struggle watching my world remain static in every way. Nothing has been altogether new or surprising, thus my interest and my ability to want to create has faded along with the slowness.
In all honesty, I think 2012 was my peak year. I reviewed a lot, I heard a lot of music, I did a few interviews with under the radar artists for this blog, and I felt like I was moving upward in how I was conducting myself and this creation of mine. This all helped me truly define myself and made me realize that for my faults or trouble in certain areas, a writer is what I am and a writer is what I will be. Since then my life has improved in several potential and definitive ways, however looking back on it I wish I’d approached this side of myself with more intensity to branch out, or to have a chip on my shoulder to keep advancing. I didn’t have that, and since then I’ve felt like I’ve only been trending right back down the little hill I found myself on.
I’m stagnant, plain and simple. I’ve thought and over-thought about new formats and new plans to the point that my head is completely jammed up. At this point I could have quit this mental car crash, and just walked away from all this for a while, or for the foreseeable future. However, I don’t feel ready to give up just yet.
For the most part I think I want to wipe the slate clean. I’m going to keep this blog, maybe tweak it’s appearance a little and update some things, but that will stay as is for the most part. Otherwise I think I need to make a big change, and the type of change that’s going to require learning new ideas. For example….
1. As of today, despite it’s very nice view count and little pocket of Youtube subscribers, “ThisDogAteMyVlogs” would be put into retirement. The account would be saved of course and all videos from it(numbering in the upper 300’s) will be easily available, but it’s an old account based off an old idea, and I think I need to move on to what I solidly am these days. Plus, given the nature and circumstance of copyright problems in this day and age, if there was an idea I just REALLY needed to make, it would always be there just in case.
2. I have no remote clue just yet what my new Youtube name will be, but if I do go forward with this I will probably have something by the end of today. Very likely something close to the name of this blog I’m thinking.
3. No more iMovie. No more of the usual software with all the usual softballs. I have a copy of Final Cut that I never explored, and in addition to that I think some research is in order to see what else is out there that I’ve been missing out on. If anyone has a suggestion on that for a Mac user here, by all means feel free to leave me some ideas. Who knows, something really new might be a good match for a very nice camera I need to really put to good use here.
4. While I will probably continue to use the same Twitter account as well whenever I post a video, I’m thinking that I’m going to return to Facebook and reach out into Instagram. While I don’t really like FB overall, a fan page might be decent to have around again, and as someone who loves dabbling in pictures for fun I would really like having another Instagram just for this stuff.
5. I don’t think I’d keep this solely about music anymore. It’s been suggested to me in the past that I could review films or other topics besides music/records, and with Youtube’s playlist feature being as handy as it is I think I could easily sub-divide into easy to decipher categories. Again, more learning, but that’s the type of challenge I need.
I’ve always wanted to turn this into something more than what it ended up being. A stepping stone to a bigger platform, a launch into a career doing something I love, a goal to something I could take pride in, even if it ended with me stepping behind the camera and writing more often and full-time. I don’t anticipate being the next great online viral hit anytime soon because I don’t think I’m the type of person who could even remotely do that, but what you see is what you get. I’ll always be direct, upfront, and pouring as much honestly earnest enthusiasm into my work as possible. And I’m hoping to re-light the match within me so you can all see that person again, and from there?
Well who knows, but I think taking a new fork in the road is a very good place to start. I hope you’ll follow me down it.